When planning a trip to the lake-surrounded, Minnesota town of Brainerd, prepare for unique lodging, plenty of outdoor fun and a calendar of exciting events happening all year long!
Here’s a quick look at some of the standouts for the year:
- January: Ice Fishing Extravaganza – the largest charitable ice fishing contest in the world where over 10,000 people gather on Gull Lake for a chance at a great catch and hundreds of prizes!
- February: Frozen Fore Winter Festival – the world’s largest snowmobile and pond hockey event on Gull Lake. Play nine “holes” of golf on the frozen lake, fill up at the food fest and jam to live music!
- June: Lakes Jam Music Fest – three days of music at the Brainerd International Raceway. With country, classic rock and the blues, Lake Jam has music for everyone!
- July: Paul Bunyan Extreme 5K – a race like no other made for the whole family! The course is filled with challenging obstacles, including a rope swing, mud pits, a dumpster dive in ice water, and a climb up Paul Bunyan’s 16-foot tall boot, just to name a few!
- August: Lucas Oil Nationals – the racing event of the year at the Brainerd International Raceway! Watch the world’s best drag racers compete on the fastest drag strip in the country!
- October: Oktoberfest at the Arb – German wines, beer, food and music! Later in the month, don’t miss the Gerital Frolics – the popular musical variety show in vaudeville fashion where every performer is over age 55!
- December: Winter Wonderland – a drive-through spectacle of beautiful lights strung into captivating displays.
From May to September, a visit to the Safari North Wildlife Park in Brainerd is also a must. Here visitors have an opportunity to see wildlife from five continents! Feed a giraffe and ride a camel at the park before heading to Paul Bunyan Land which immerses visitors in the life of the famous folktale lumberjack.
And with so many fun activities to keep travelers busy, a good place to check in and hang out is the Arrowwood Lodge. The rooms are so big, they call them cabins! Also, the lodge houses its own indoor Paul Bunyan Water Park with over 30,000 square feet of activities and adventure.
Plan a Brainerd getaway today with convenient flights on SkyWest Airlines, operating as Delta Connection, from Minneapolis. Find the best fares and more travel info at delta.com.
Emerging Media Coordinator
Brainerd, Minnesota is the playground at the heart of Minnesota lake country. Take advantage of truly limitless opportunities to “unplug” and enjoy outdoor offerings like birding, hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, boating, horseback riding, canoeing, golf, kayaking and more! If your speed calls for more RPMs than a hike, Brainerd offers the Midwest’s largest Raceway with Top Fuel Dragsters, Nascar, Superbikes and more!
The Brainerd area is as beautiful and relaxing as one would want, but the sidewalks in this gorgeous area never get rolled up! The 27th Annual NAPA Auto Parts Show & Go is a great Independence Day tradition that offers fans a chance to see great drag racing action in the Muscle Car series with cars that can run 6-7 seconds over 200 mph. The event offers something for everyone with a classic car show, fireworks and live music.
The athlete inside won’t find more fun or a greater challenge than the Paul Bunyon Extreme 5k. July 13 test your mettle at this family friendly event on Mount Ski Gull by traversing obstacles ranging from swinging across mud pits to conquering the giant slip and slide! Individuals, teams and parent/child teams are all welcome. The course has something for everyone from couch potatoes to kids to extreme athletes, so don’t miss out on this annual summer tradition.
No trip to the Brainerd area is complete without dining with one of the special local establishments. Enjoy the waterfront charm and live music offered by Moonlite Bay, an original dance hall turned restaurant and bar that was established in 1933. With nearly 50 dock slips one can boat right up to enjoy one of their famous burgers and feast on the spectacular views. Travel back in time even further to The Last Turn Saloon. Established in 1894, this restaurant and bar has been a favorite of patrons spanning several generations. Everything visible in the saloon has been handcrafted by Minnesota artisans down to the back bar carved of solid oak in the 1870s!
SkyWest Airlines opens the door to the world-class amenities found in the region with convenient Delta Connection jet service between Minneapolis and Brainerd. Find the lowest fares and book your Brainerd Lakes Country adventure today at www.Delta.com.